Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Devil's in the Details

Well, it’s been an interesting few weeks.

My body has grown numb to administrative tasks. So I'm now taking a break to eat a few Fla-Vor-Ice before hitting up a run once it cools down to 80. It's a fact that Oregonians go into panic mode if the temps creep above 90, and I've become a softy just like the rest of them.

We’ve continued to move forward with the relocation process, even though we're still waiting on a formal offer and a work visa. We’re thisclose to the offer being finalized (hopefully by the end of this week…but that’s what we said last week?) The visa paperwork has been submitted, and will hopefully only take 20ish days. 

Ken’s start date is supposed to be Sept 20th, so here we go...

As a sacrifice for being the non-working (aka worthless) member of our household pretty soon, I volunteered to handle all the details of the actual move. It’s been quite the mind-boggling process over the past two weeks. Found one that fits our moving allowance, and just mailed off the deposit today. They sound like they know what they’re doing…so I hope they’re as legit as they seem. We always have insurance, right?

Our sweet little apt will be all packed up and moved out on Sept 14th. Best news ever: we don’t get to pack a single thing. Customs wants it packed by professionals. Umm…who am I to argue here? Every move I made in the past involved yours truly packing every single item and making 20 trips back and forth between apts in a small car. My last move actually consisted of me walking back and forth between my apt and Ken’s (across the street), carrying a few lamps, books, chairs, etc any time I came over to vist over the course of a couple of months, and suckering him into taking various items every time he left my apt. Let’s just say this move will be…heavenly.

In the meantime, we’re living it up in P-town. Had a lovely visit from Joan, complete with hiking Saddle Mountain in the fog (and missing out on any sort of view that makes the steep hike worth it…but still a good workout?), kayaking the Willamette, and feasting on the delish P-town cuisine. I'm so grateful Joan took the time to make a last minute visit from Boise. We haven't gotten to hang in the NW much with all the OK weddings going down over the past couple of years. It was so nice to see her here at home!

Andy also graced us with his presence this past weekend. Good times as well. Got in an 80 degree day at the coast (almost unheard of), hiked down to a hidden beach where I threw myself into the Oregon Pacific for the first time (fffrrrigid, but felt quite fabulous after a hot hike), went to a fun wedding, and made probably our last visit to Multnomah Falls for quite some time (mmm…we’ll miss you delicious soft-serve).

I’d post some pics, but have little to no patience for the upload slowness. Some day. Perhaps during my upcoming two years of funemployment...